Sunday, February 6, 2011

Simon, I utter thy name with great reverence (also: damn dreamsigns)


This is Simon Posford. He is my current fangirling obsession, not only because he’s drop dead gorgeous, but also because he is a true musical genius. Give him any musical instruments and he’ll do wonders with them. Give him any samples and he’ll give you an otherworldly psychedelic journey. Together with Raja Ram Rothfield (I just love calling Raj with that name) they make a perfect psychedelic pair. Just look at Mystery of the Yeti, The Infinity Project, and the renowned Shpongle. Simon adds a dash of magic to anything he’s working on. And for that, I truly adore him.

Rants aside, I kept having Simon/Shpongle-related dreams these days, probably due to my newfound love towards Simon (well, I really do think Shpongle is amazing from the very first time I discovered them, but I didn’t realize how epic Simon is until now). A few nights back (which I totally forgot to record down) I had this very long dream version of Simon’s biography, from his fresh Hallucinogen days to his current Younger Brother project. Of course, my dream version was highly distorted and very unreliable, because hey, it’s a dream anyway. So I had scenes about him being a highly talented drummer, him living in a small hut decorated with psychedelic tapestries (think Goa Gil), things like that. But it’s very cool to have Simon in my dream, especially when he took the form of the younger Hallucinogen Simon (circa 1995). I woke up loving him even more.
Simon as Hallucinogen

This morning, I had another dream involving Simon and his Shpongle live band. My dream brought me to a strange place, which I assumed was a distorted version of Japan. This version of Japan was akin to the forest clearings at Goa where people held the famous Full Moon party, with misty, almost dreamlike atmosphere. There was a simple stage-like set up, and people were surrounding it in a matter of seconds, fuelled with great anticipation. A few minutes later, the whole Shpongle crew began invading the stage, complete with dancers and Michele Adamson + Hari Om. I joined them on stage wearing a beige version of the sari Michele wore at Roundhouse 2009. The music they played was unlike their usual signature Shpongle sounds. They have more Arabic elements thrown in, a la Shulman. Somehow, I assumed the role of an Arabic dancer and danced ecstatically on stage along with the other dancers. My outfit was a bit skimpy but someone threw a scarf at me so that I could cover myself up a little bit more. Later after waking I realized that the venue was similar to the Solstice Music Festival 2002 in which Simon performed a live set as Hallucinogen (watched the vid before going to sleep yesterday) and the music was probably Shulman’s Mia Nihta Mono Den Ftani. Awesome psybient dream indeed.

Last night I mentioned about trying several methods to attain lucidity, one of them being writing the word ‘AWAKE’ on my hands to be used during reality check. Well guess what? The scribblings appeared in my dream as a potent dreamsign yet I failed to realize anything weird about it! Damn! My next dream was about me visiting my cousins at grandma's house. I was about to take my shower when I looked at my hands and the scribblings literally melted away, as if being washed over with some methylated spirit (I used permanent marker). I didn't notice anything remarkably weird that time because I was thinking that the scribblings vanished because I cleaned them earlier before performing my Subuh prayer (when I woke up from the dream, it was not yet Subuh). There goes my DILD opportunity. Sheesh.

The next dream was even freakier. After visiting my grandma, I found myself meeting the dreaded uncle and his dreaded son at Gunung Ledang. In the middle of the night. Somehow, grandma's restaurant was shifted to a different place, and was now located very high up Gunung Ledang. Dreaded uncle was about to close the restaurant, and I somehow scanned the whole darkened surroundings hoping to find something interesting (read: ghosts). When uncle was done with his stuffs, I followed him to some sort of tunnel and avoided the main road coz he told me that the ghosts were waiting for us there. Inside the tunnel, I came across a weird graffiti on the wall, a bit unintelligible (damn missed another dreamsign) which asked us to walk 5 paces more and then turn around and run as fast as we could. Uncle said the ghosts were there. I caught a glimpse of the so-called ghosts while running away (they were tall and enshrouded with white tattered fabric - typical ghost appearance - but decorated with multicoloured feathers lol. I must be Shpongled). I half-expected myself to collapse while running (I am never a good runner) but to my surprise, I managed to run past uncle and his son. I know I know, another dreamsign.

Afternoon nap gave me yet another Shpongle-esque dream. I was joining this ridiculous camp when I failed to be at the main hall on time and was ordered to sing in public as a punishment. I thought "why not? I love singing" and began singing Michele Adamson's part in Shpongle's Ineffable Mysteries. To my utter disappointment, I somehow lost my voice. When I tried to scream, nothing came out (kill me now. Another dreamsign) so the facilitators told me to come again when I get my voice back. Then the dream was transformed to another scene in which i found myself wearing a miniskirt while trying to descend from a two-storey building via its emergency ladder. Long story short, when I was done I saw two extremely big orange spheres in the sky, which I was told were the setting sun and the rising full moon. I told someone that this is a rare occurence, you could only witness this four times a month (gila rare lol). I climbed the building back to have a better view, and was completely awestruck. That was when my rem sleep cycle ended. And I realized that was my fifth missed dreamsign today.

Kill me already.

No comments:

Post a Comment