Sunday, February 27, 2011

mission accomplished

I did not put this on my dream task list, but one of my goals is to have a 20-minute long lucid dream, or even longer than that. Like I mentioned before, my lucid dreams had always been frustratingly short - probably due to the lack of practice/me being a relatively noob dreamer (it's only been 4 months since I first attempted to lucid dream seriously). Of course, to improve my dream quality, I did everything I could get my hands on - using binaural/monaural beats and isochronic tones, various reality checking techniques, turmeric tea (!) etc. So far, things had been quite okay (well, if you don't count the pseudoephedrine-induced dry spell, that is) and the duration of my LDs had improved. Placebo or not, I am still happy.

Last night, when I was browsing through the Dreamviews forum, I stumbled upon a thread by one particular person, about how he/she has the awesomest ability to lucid dream naturally almost every night, but wants to make it stop because the dreams affected his/her sleep. God, I would do anything to have such ability. I somehow kept thinking about that before I sleep, and thought that it would be very awesome to have a lucid dream that night, but later I realized that my every effort to attain lucidity would eventually be futile because I didn't have enough energy after walking up to 10 000 steps earlier yesterday for grocery+book shopping and orientation purposes. So after making one last reality check, I went to sleep covered in my super warm duvet and continental blanket.

I believe I had several dream fragments, one involving me going to have my nails manicured with my bro. Dad somehow gave me money to visit a nail parlour for reasons I failed to recall. It's weird like that, I know. When I went home from the parlour, I was told that I fell asleep during my manicure session and had around 5 of my nails removed, with the rest painted blood red. I could not remember what happened afterwards, there were probably a couple or more interesting dream scenes following it. Damn dream recall.

For some reasons I found myself in a rather small shopping complex, wandering around aimlessly. At one point I became aware of my surroundings and realized that I was dreaming - oddly, without doing any reality testings at all. I guess this was because I now have some clue on distinguishing a dream from waking life - everything about my dream seem to be blurry at various intensities, and the moment I realized I was dreaming, the whole world turned surprisingly vivid but still a bit wobbly. Moving objects seemed to have bits of trails behind them, akin to those in an LSD hallucination, although not as intense. I could feel an unexplainable surge of sensation in my body, which made me feel agitated yet euphoric, like after drinking three cups of coffee. No, I kid you not, this is not an exaggeration. I somehow felt kinda high in my lucid dreams :P Anyhoo, I still did a reality check just in case, and the extra fingers on my hands confirmed the fact that I was dreaming. At the slightest expression of excitement, though, the dream threatened to disintegrate, so I quickly shouted "Full lucidity NOW!", repeating it several times like a mantra. Shortly after, the dream assumed the quality of a waking life - no more wobbly scenes and moving objects with trails. It was very much similar to waking life that I almost thought I woke up already! I kept looking at my twelve-fingered hands to remind myself that I was dreaming, and I could do anything I want in my dreams.

As usual, the first thing on my mind was to find Raphael, but it seemed like I have plenty of time to do so later, so I explored the whole shopping complex to see if there's anything interesting worth doing. As I went out of the shopping complex, there was a rather narrow bridge connecting the shopping complex with several places of interests around Shah Alam e.g. Plaza Alam Sentral (interesting enough for ya?) and the big blue mosque, which were also linked with each other. I noticed this peculiarity, and wanted to change everything, but when I failed to do so, I decided to start with a smaller task - remove Alam Sentral's rooftops and replace them with the dome from the mosque. Success :D I then decided to go into the mosque for a bit of exploration, and noticed several other people from the shopping complex doing the same thing. Inside the mosque, the carpets were dusty, there were very minimal sunlight getting through the windows, yet the whole surroundings were actually very cozy. For some reasons there was a stack of mattresses exactly below one of the windows, so I thought it would be fun to do a free fall or something (the height of the mosque from the ground was approximately four storeys) since free falling was also in my list of dream tasks. The people from the shopping complex seemed to be interested in doing that as well, but they were a bit hesitant. I told them that they were in a dream, so they wouldn't need to worry about getting hurt or getting killed should things do not go well. Truth be told I was also a bit nervous, but after doing another reality check, I climbed the window, spread my arms wide and dropped my body down. Highly euphoric, although I didn't manage to fly/hover. The other dream characters also did the same, and we had lots of fun together. It's amazing , you see, that I managed to make friends with my DCs.

The dream went black for approximately 30 seconds, and I realized that I had woken up already. No way I would have the dream ended like that, so I did not open my eyes, kept very still, and did DEILD. Almost immediately, I went back into the dream. I love it when I succeeded in my DEILD attempts. This time, I was in a different shopping complex, but very similar to the first one except that this shopping complex had studio rooms for students in between the rows of shops. Freaky. While on my way along the corridor, I stumbled upon my housemate at a florist. She greeted me, and I somehow wanted to show my love towards Fringe and introduced myself, Olivia Dunham style. I didn't know why, but after I did that she suddenly became frustrated and accused me of being a show-off. I thought, screw you, this is a dream, and went away. I kept repeating the full lucidity mantra again and again to make sure that my dream won't fade away, all the while doing constant reality checks and freaking myself out with six fingers on each hand. As I passed through a barber shop, I heard someone saying something about me, but when I turned behind, no one was there. I then felt something hitting the back of my head. Irritated, I tried to find the culprit, and to my surprise, caught a senior from my high school prepping up more things to be thrown at me. I asked her why would she ever do that, but she didn't answer me. Realizing that I could do anything in my dream, I punched her on her face, and we had a pretty big fight before I decided that enough was enough, and walked away. I remembered that I was supposed to find Raphael amidst the hundreds of DCs looming around the area, so I did just that, to no avail. Approached a DC and asked her if she knew where my Raphael was, but I didn't really expect her to tell me anything useful as I was only experimenting with the idea of getting help from DCs in order to accomplish my task. Surprisingly, the DC, who was an Indonesian, told me that my Raphael was hiding somewhere in a manga bookstore nearby. Awesome. On my way trying to find the said bookstore, I met another one of my seniors, a very nice person compared to the other one, who invited me for a cup of tea in her studio room. I was going to resume my shopping complex exploration when I saw a glimpse of a long-haired guy behind her room. I wondered if that was Raphael, so I went there and called out his name. No reply. When I went back to my senior's room, I noticed that she had stacks of manga manuscripts, her own creation I presumed, and lots of manga on her bookshelf. "Maybe this was the manga bookstore that DC told me about", I thought, and decided to stay there and wait for my Raphael to emerge. While browsing through her drawings, I saw a manga character which looked very similar to my version of Raphael, so I somehow tried to 'suck' the character out of the paper into my dream. I almost got there when the dream destabilized rapidly - I was awake before I could manage to do anything about it. You see how my REM phase always manage to choose the perfect time to end itself? Sheesh.

I estimated the dream to last for about 20 minutes, which is the exact lucid dream duration I aimed to get. So yay for me! It was a bit disappointing, though, that I spent most of the dream trying to find Raphael and got nothing in the end. I could've done so many things in a lucid dream that long - like, say, find my dream guide or open a portal or take LSD with Hofmann, but yeah. There's always next time. After all, I did manage to do something - free-falling, dream object altering and making friends with my DCs + getting help from them. Wish I could have more lucid dreams like this next time. But until then, I have to improve my worsening dream recall. Let's start practicing and sip that turmeric tea!

Side note: lecture starts this Monday, so I may won't be able to lucid dream on weekdays/nights. Don't even start talking about afternoon naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment